Sunday, March 26, 2006

Things that probably make me a bad Catholic

(It being Lent and all...)

I have no problem with abortion.

Specifically, I do not believe that "life" begins at conception. I give it quotes because, obviously, every cell is alive.

I favor contraception.

I'm not altogether clear in my mind on the meaning of eternal life. In fact, the notion of living forever as the being that I am--living for even, say, three hundred years--sounds unspeakably tortuous.

I think God has no problem with homosexuality whatever.

I think it is a sin to condemn people for being and/or living as homosexuals.

I think that God is sometimes cruel and is not actually being kind in some mysterious way. God loves us, but when a new mother dies painfully of breast cancer, there is no mercy hidden in it.

I think God created evil. I do not think he makes mistakes, however.

I think God is also the god of hate and pain.

I think that Hell will be empty. (Maybe I actually think that Heaven and Hell are the same place, and being a certain kind of person makes it what it "is.")

I do not particularly respect Benedict XVI.

I think it is a sin to argue that women should be barred from the priesthood.

I don't think that Jesus enjoyed being Jesus. I don't think it was kind to Lazarus to raise him from the dead. I don't necessarily think he usually understood what he was doing or what he was in real time. I don't think he especially enjoyed rising from the dead--actually, that was probably really awful.

I don't think that the powers of the time particularly cared about Jesus.

I think atheism should have the status of a religion.

I don't think it's a sin to ask God for an apology.

I'll let you know if come up with anymore.